The Top Fruits and Veggies to Stock Up on During Quarantine
I was in the grocery store yesterday and although there was no toilet paper, minimal meat, and limited canned/packaged items, there was plenty of produce!! I get that we want to purchase things that last longer during times like this but the processed junk is only harming us more by depressing our immune system and making us sicker!
So, what fruits and veggies would be good to stock up on you might ask…. Below is a guide I put together for you with longer lasting nutrient dense foods!
- Apples will last for months. Keep in the refrigerator. (eat with nut butter or in overnight oats)
- Bananas (buy as green as possible to extend life and when they start to go south, freeze them and use for baking breads and muffins) Here one of my fav banana bread recipes
- Citrus fruits like lemons, limes will last for weeks, even months (keep in the refrigerator, use in savory dishes like Lemon and Garlic Shrimp Pasta or Guacamole) Oranges are also great to enjoy and get that immune boosting Vitamin C in!
- If you purchase berries and they are headed south, freeze them for smoothies and baking. They are full of antioxidants! Try my fav blueberry muffins
- Avocados are great for healthy fat but we all know they can over ripen quickly. Buy them very green and hard to allow time to ripen and extend the life
- Potatoes, potatoes, potatoes (sweet, russet or yukon gold) are great staples and last a long time. Store in a warm (not hot) dry place, not in the refrigerator. Bake sweet potatoes to use as a side dish or make oven roasted fries!
- Onions last weeks to months and add flavor to any dish! Store in a warm and dry place.
- Winter squashes such as butternut, acorn, or spaghetti squash. These are delish roasted in the oven and last a long time
- Cabbage, brussel sprouts will last 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator. Make a simple slaw or roast your brussels with some olive oil, s & p until brown and crispy!
- Cauliflower will last 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator. Make some cauli rice or just roast on a sheet tray with olive oil s & p
- Broccoli will last approximately 1 week in the refrigerator. Make burnt broccoli, it’s the best!
- Garlic will last for months and elevates the flavor of just about any savory dish! Store in a warm and dry place.
- Carrots are full of vitamins and nutrients and last weeks in the refrigerator. Steam, roast, or add to soups and stews.
Think through what types of dishes you and your family love and try out some new ones during this time of togetherness.